Skip to main content

In Praise of Alone Time



Last week I was lucky enough to go to Disneyworld with my husband and daughter. We’d been planning the trip for over a year, and it was as much fun as we had hoped. But there was one thing I didn’t count on: the absence of reading time. The last time we went on a vacation and shared a room, my daughter was 4. Now she’s 7 and old enough that she doesn’t just fall asleep anytime or anywhere. When she was four, she’d pass out about 9 p.m. and my husband and I could talk or read or even watch TV quietly. Not this trip.



This trip, if I was awake, she was awake. That meant that every time I tried to read, she would start talking to me or ask me to turn off the light or the Kindle so she could sleep. While I loved Disneyworld, it was a long week without any time alone to read. I really missed it!



Now that I’m back, I’m so appreciative of my reading time. I usually read while my daughter is at her dance or gymnastics classes and before bed. I love curling up on the couch with a cup of coffee or tea and starting a new book.

When is your favorite time to read and where do you love to read?


Comments

  1. My favorite time to read is when I am waiting in the car outside of school to pick up my daughter. I also get to appointments early so I can read. I actually like reading in the car, because I can focus on the book there, and not what I still have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading calms me down. I reach for a book when I'm stressed. And I love reading just before bed to empty my mind of all the stuff from the day that's still jumping around in there. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment