1. Forget shopping Fifth Avenue. Do like I did today. Hit Wal-Mart. Not only can you restock your grocery closet for cheap, you'll find hours of entertainment all right around the corner from your house! I mean, seriously, this is more fun than people watching in Times Square. (And I ask you, where else can you get a little Twilight without visiting Forks, Washington?)
(Don't have a local Wal-Mart? Don't worry. Visit http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/ for the same experience right in your own home!)
2. Wishing you could hang out in the karaoke bar? Maybe you're one of those attention seekers who loves to get up on stage and belt out out a ballad. Never fear. A hairbrush works well as a microphone. Just be careful. If your kids are anything like mine they'll steal the hairbrush and take over the show. (Which will make you feel like you're really in NYC hanging with the romance writers because we all know romance writers are divas extraordinaire.)
3. Down you can't attend a Yankees game? I've got a good alternative. Hit your local Little League fields. Sure, they don't sell beer but the seats are better (no nose-bleed sections here!) and if you're lucky you'll find yourself seated next to a hot single dad. And if that doesn't sound appealing there's always the Bad News Bears, which you can rent and watch from the confines of your living room. Now that can't even compare to the Yankees!
4. Sad you couldn't attend the star-studded Transformers 3 premiere, which also took place in New York City this week? I've got a good alternative. Say the word and I'll send my six year old over in his Bumblebee costume. You won't feel like you missed a thing!
5. And finally, upset you missed the RWA Literacy Signing featuring more than 400 published romance authors all in one place raising money for charity? I've got you covered with two really good alternatives.
and order your favorite authors' latest books!
And if that's not enough for you, hit Bob's Beach Books
in Lincoln City, Oregon on August 27th at noon for a fifty-author book signing. People, it's on the beach! And I'll be there! And hey, that's BETTER than the RWA signing in NYC, isn't it?
(That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)