Skip to main content

Plant the Seed of Hope




Life in our little corner of the world has been a bit nuts lately. I won't go into details but let's just say that the candles in our home have been burning at both ends for a while now. The work candle, kid candle, family candle and stuff-that-always-has-to-get-done candles were just about burnt out. I'm sure anyone reading this can relate to the feeling of, Put-a-fork-in-it.-I'm-done.



Two days ago that's where I was. I didn't think I had one more ounce of energy for anything. Please don't get me wrong. I know that I'm a lucky woman. I have a very good life. A cup-runneth-over-with-blessings-life. But everyone has a tipping point and I was at mine. All I wanted to do was find a dark corner and hide in it. To plug my ears and tell the world around me, "La, la, la, la, la. I can't hear you."


However, like all of you, I can't do that. We have to put on those big-girl-pants and keep going. Normally I do. But this week, I was at a point where I genuinely didn't think I could. I was ready to just give up. To throw my hands up and say, "W-h-a-t-e-v-e-r!" Sitting at my computer, far too late at night and unable to sleep, I stumbled across this quote. It stopped me dead in my tracks.




When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."
~Author Unknown





I read it over and over again. To be quite honest, it made me cry. Chalk it up to fate or guardian angels or chance. Call it whatever you want. It was exactly the message I needed to get and at exactly the right time.



I wanted to share this with all of you. Maybe when your candle is just about burnt out and you're wondering where your energy or patience is going to come from...you'll remember this little quote and hear the whisper.



Hope is the seed of perseverance. When life gets overwhelming, remember to plant your seed of hope.












Comments

  1. Last night after I got home from work, I didn't do any work. :) I had to remind myself I was entitled to just not do anything! Although I did finish reading one of the books I'm judging for the 2 contests. This weekend, I don't have any time that can be own, yet my daughter will be coming over with her fiance and we're going to have fun. And so I have to tell myself it's okay not to work!!! Which means I'm going to try and do 2 days work in 1 day! :)

    Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great quote! I was up for a couple of hours with my baby last night. No idea why. Seems she just wanted to be held. It was very hard to get up early and write this morning. That quote is exactly what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like that. It's like you can almost hear it as a gentle whisper...hmmm yeah that's a good one :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. Just beautiful.

    The way women view the world makes us particularly vulnerable to the sort of soul weariness you're talking about.

    I've always felt that my work as a romance writer was to give readers a moment of pleasure, a moment of rest, and a seed of hope, so that when the book is done, they can return to their lives refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post, Sara. I was there Tuesday--I ate all of the scolloped au gratin potatoes that just happened to be leftover the the fridge (there was quite a lot), and two chocolate bars--it would have been three if my DH had remembered buy one while he was at the grocery store. I killed my diet, got myself together, and now I'm back to burning it at both ends. It's amazing what a eating a bunch of cheesy carbs, not enough chocolate, and a few encouraging whispers can do for a grown women who doesn't have much time to hide in a dark corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ain't life grand? Just when you think you've had enough, a sign comes along to show you that you're on the right path! Love that synchronicity :) Glad you were able to find a glimmer of hope, and it got you striving forward again xxx (((hugs))) It's a wondeful quote, and probably would have made me cry, too, had I felt like that then found it when I needed it the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sara,
    Touching and inspiring, Sara. I'm making a copy of that quote for myself.
    Oh and will the person who's never been at the breaking point please stand up?
    Ah, I don't see anyone standing. Your post helped us all. I think I hear hope whispering "One more time," right now.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sara, what a lovely post. You do so much and make it look so easy - I really hope you get a chance to sit back and enjoy the results of all your hard work sometime soon! And MM, I loved your response. I'm going to hang that above my desk along with Sarah's quote!
    I think a lot of writers go through this when they're first published and there's so much to do. This group has been a great source of support for me through all those challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Womderful sentiment. I also like the one that says, "When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this quote. As someone who can totally understand the kids, the job, and trying to write, I needed this. Since I am still working toward publication, sometimes the world isn't just saying give up, but screaming it. The whisper is what keeps me going, though. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A seed of hope. Faith the size of a mustard seed. Without hope and faith how can we go on? We must believe in tomorrow; believe in ourselves. Thanks for a great post. You deserve a break.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, Sara - I think we've all been there. Like Terry said upthread, I think it's important that we give ourselves occasional permission to just take some downtime. There comes a time when the well is dry, and we need to recharge our batteries. Take the time. MAKE the time. XX00.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Terry- That downtime we take always catches up with us in the end. Enjoy your Mother's Day!

    @Shana-I remember those days of very little sleep. I'm impressed you were able to write after a sleepless night. I enjoy your stories on FB about Baby Galen. She's a cutie patootie.

    @Carolyn-Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @cinful-Thanks for coming by :) I definitely heard the whisper....

    @MM-I couldn't agree more! I love to provide the readers with an escape from whatever troubles they may have.

    @Robin- I am SO with you on that! Chocolate and a glass of wine (or two) can sure help a girl out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Jo--Thanks for the virtual hugs and support. You rock!

    @Amelia--I'm so glad other people are finding it helpful. And I didn't see anyone stand up either. LOL.

    @Joanne--Me? You make it look effortless and even earned a RITA nomination to go with it! Can't wait to cheer you on this summer at RWA.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Ashlyn-That's another of my faves!

    @Shannyn--Keep at it!!! Do.Not.Give.Up. The difference between a published writer and unpublished is one thing--never quitting!

    @Marleen-I love what you wrote--Faith the size of a mustard seed. I'm using that one too.

    @Tamara--Thanks so much. Since it's Mother's Day tomorrow...I'll most definitely be making the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful quote and most of us have needed it at least once if not a lot more! I know I have!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post, Sara. Let that little seedling grow. :}

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment