Skip to main content

First Kisses

posted by Loucinda McGary aka Aunty Cindy

Recently one of my critique partners and I were discussing favorite scenes in books, what we liked and why we liked them. We quickly came to the conclusion that we consistently liked scenes where the hero and heroine kiss for the first time.

I have fond memories of first kisses from special ‘dates’ over the years. Usually the anticipation of those kisses proved more enjoyable than the actually lip contact. Maybe that is why first kisses in fiction make such enjoyable scenes. The author can take her time building up all that wonderful tension between the hero and heroine and the actual moment of contact never has to be disappointing. The author can revise and reinvent to her heart’s content, and the reader can savor all the lovely anticipation as many times as she wants.

Since my new release, The Treasures of Venice has a dual storyline and two sets of lovers, I got to have all the fun of writing the ‘first kiss’ scene twice! Here is the first kiss between my contemporary hero, Keirnan Fitzgerald, and my heroine, Samantha Lewis:

She stopped abruptly and pulled her hand away.

Keirnan followed her gaze across the street where white letters on a green cloth awning proclaimed “Bello Giardino.” Window boxes filled with pink and yellow primroses decorated the front of the four-story hotel.

“Looks like we’re here.His libido suddenly over-rode his conscience, and urged him to do more than walk away. He fought back the urge. “Thank you again for being such a good sport, Samantha.”

When had he raised his hand? But he must have because it was poised next to her face. Of their own volition, his fingers cupped her cheek. Her smooth skin felt overheated in the cool air. Those ten thousand volts sizzled up his arm and made his pulse hammer.

“And I meant what I said back there on the Bridge of Sighs. He’s a fool. You’re better off without him.” And me.

Though shock flickered across her expressive eyes, she said nothing, the tip of her tongue moistening her bottom lip.

His hand moved from her cheek to cradle the back of her head, the silky strands of her hair flowing over and through his fingers. He lowered his head and slanted his mouth across hers, his own tongue lightly following the path of hers.

She tasted warm and sweet. But without warning, the painted image of Serafina Lombardo flashed behind his closed eyes.

Saints in heaven, he was losing it!

Keirnan pulled back and dropped his hand, but instead of releasing her as he’d intended, he grasped her hand and raised it toward his mouth.

“Take care, Samantha, luv,” he murmured and pressed his lips lightly against her palm. Blood roared in his ears, but somehow he managed to drop her hand before he made an even bigger and far more stupid blunder.

And here is the first kiss between my Renaissance couple, Serafina and Nino:

Nino paced the open space in front of the bench. His graceful movements made her think of dancing. Who had he danced with during Carnevale?

“Well, he was right about the Doge’s niece.” Serafina shifted her voluminous skirts so that he could sit next to her on the bench.

He hesitated for a moment before he sat down.“Maybe so, but he should not have poked fun at you.”

“I…” As at the cemetery isle, warmth seemed to radiate from him to her. “…don’t mind. Besides, I may not have a wart on my nose, but my jaw is too square and my mouth is too small.”She repeated the faults her mother so frequently pointed out, except she never should have mentioned mouth. The instant she spoke the word, her eyes immediately went to his.

She watched in fascination as his lips parted and he spoke. “Your mouth looks perfect to me.”

“Not…” Her hand moved of its own accord. “…so perfect as yours.” Her fingers lightly brushed across his cheek and traced the edge of his lower lip. “Yours feels so soft.”

Serafina lifted her face and his warm smooth lips touched hers. The unexpected contact jolted them apart.

“Forgive me!” Nino leaped to his feet.

“Kiss me again,” she whispered, pulling him back down beside her.


Now THAT is a woman after Aunty’s own heart!

What about you? What are your favorite scenes in a book? Please share some memorable first kisses with us, either your own or fictional.

Comments

  1. Hi Aunty Cindy,
    One of my favorite first kiss scenes is between Jessica and Dain in "Lord of Scoundrels" in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunty Cindy I loved both of those first kisses it was great reading them again.
    I love the build up that writers bring to a first kiss as well they are always so sensual nothing like a real first kiss I am sure. But i can honestly say that when my boyfriend (now Hubby) first kissed me I knew he would be the one I married no particular reason I just new it LOL and we are still married 32 years on.

    I agree with you Jane Jessica and Dains first kiss in Paris in the snow from Loretta Chase's Lord Of Scoundrals is a very good one.

    Have Fun
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, AC! For me, it's the first meeting. There's something about the interaction, eye contact, situation they're in, all the possibilities of so much more on the horizon...just in that first meeting. :) Of course, I love first kisses too. :) Which also leads to more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the first kiss with me and my DH. We'd been out in the park one afternoon and had been teasing each other quite a bit, and when we got back to his car, he reached over and pulled me into the kiss. Needless to say, I melted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! Cindy! It is way too early in the morning for all that heat! I'm having a hot flash--of the good kind! :-)

    And believe it or not, I was working on the first kiss for my wip just yesterday. Below is the draft--which is subject to change.

    She rose on her toes and placed her lips on his. For an instant, Brent was startled by her action, but as her body leaned into his and her lips parted, all surprise was replaced by an intense and immediate desire which he struggled to control.
    Her lips were soft and warm despite the chill of the morn, and he was lost to her kiss. It took a moment before it filtered into his brain that she wasn’t very good at kissing, though she was trying hard to play the seductress. That simple fact made her all the more intriguing and desirable.
    She gasped into his mouth when he brought her tightly up against him. A rampant hunger sprang up in him and he deepened the kiss.

    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning Everyone!

    Sorry to start the day off steamy, but it was late at night and the perfect time for kisses when I wrote this post. :-)

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane and Helen,
    I'm embarrassed to admit I have NOT read Loretta Chase. I know, I know, but I'm afraid if I start now, I won't be able to stop. :-P

    Helen that is SOOO KEWL about knowing your DH was THE ONE and still being together! You are both so lucky to have found each other.

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry,

    I love first meetings too! As a reader (and even a writer) we KNOW these two are destined to be together, even if THEY don't!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, Diva Donna! Glad you enjoyed the post. ;-)

    Cheryl, what a sweet story of your first kiss w/your DH! Mine isn't quite so sweet... Mine is so tall, I grabbed his by the collar of his shirt and same, "C'mere!" Then pulled his face down to my level and laid a big sloppy one on him! HA!

    AC

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think so too, Renee!

    Thanx for popping by today!

    Amelia, WOO HOO!!!! Thanx bunches for that fab sneak peak at your wip! Can't wait to read the rest of it!

    AC

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment